Tuesday, November 7, 2023

Word of the Day: Mnemonic

Can you pronounce mnemonic?
Word Daily
Tuesday, November 7, 2023
Mnemonic
WD
Today's Word Brought to You By
Mnemonic
adjective 1. Aiding or designed to aid the memory.
2. Relating to the power of memory.
noun 1. A device such as a pattern of letters, ideas, or associations that assists in remembering something.
EXAMPLE SENTENCES
"I often use the mnemonic device 'i before e except after c' to help my spelling."
"My mnemonic abilities aren't what they used to be — I keep forgetting what I need to get at the store."
"My tutor taught me a mnemonic that helped me remember the formulas for the calculus exam."
Babbel
Today's Word Brought to You By
Babbel
Babbel Teaches Real-World Conversations in 10 Minutes a Day
Embark on a language journey this fall with Babbel's bite-sized lessons. Begin conversing in just three weeks! Seize the season with up to 55% off your subscription now.
Get 55% Off
Greek, mid-17th century
Why This Word?
"Mnemonic" can be used as a noun or an adjective, both referring to memory tools. To recall the order of the planets in our solar system, from the closest to the sun to the farthest, a common mnemonic phrase used to be "My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas." ...
Continue Reading
Do you remember these words?
Mephitic Senescence
Froward Rivage
Thank you for supporting our advertisers.
WD Privacy Policy  •  Terms of Use  •  Contact Us
3419 Via Lido, #657 Newport Beach, CA 92663
Advertisements powered by LiveIntent • AdChoices AdChoices

No comments:

Post a Comment